Dear Viewer,

Please Leave comments. I still read them. I promise. :)
-Steve (2/07/2012)

Moving On...

Update: I got a Pro Flickr account with the money I made from Prom Portraits, and so I'm planning to post a lot to there for now as I figure out the details for my official photography site.

Portfolio's up! But I use flickr mostly now...

So without further delay, here are my two shiney new URL's:

Official Professional Portfolio:

Flickr Account:

Update Update (Feb 07th 2012): HI! I still check this blog every once in awhile. It's fun to have an archive of my first Project 365 still hanging out on blogspot. Cool.

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, my web home base is now stevemoraco.com - Simple enough right?


Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 356: My Very First HDR


HDR Photography, as I've already mentioned is a very cool art form. It opens up whole new fronteirs with photography, enabling cameras to see exactly the dynamic range (and sometimes more) that the human eye sees. Check out this picture, my very first HDR Image, as a great example. Sunset pictures are never able to capture the landscape detail that the eye sees, but rather only either the bright sky or darkening land. This HDR (made from 3 bracketed exposures 2EV steps apart) allows the picture to convey both. It doesnt have the same striking contrast that the real life scene held, but this is absolutely the best any computer limited by typical monitors can show. I love the effect it has. It gives a whole new uniqueness to a picture that would have otherwise been pretty bland. I can't wait to explore more of my world with HDR photography. Please check out the full view so you can see the detail this picture has, from the clouds at the top to the shingles on our neighbor's roof at the bottom.

Did I mention how cool it is that this day is the same as 365 but with the 5 and 6 switched. It's almost enough to fool the eye with a quick glance. Don't get too worried! Still 9 more days to go!

Happy New Year everyone!

7 comments:

Rach said...

Wow, this is stunning Steve. Absolutely breathtaking. :D

Steve Moraco said...

Why thank you! :)

Madeleine Wilbur said...

does photomatix, your hdr software require more than one photo such as your bracketed exposures to make the final hdr result or can you just use one photo and it will break it up and expose it properly?

Steve Moraco said...

Technically you CAN use one RAW (for Nikon it's .nef) file, but that doesn't work as well as multiple exposures, and one JPEG doesn't work at all.

Anonymous said...

Wow Steve, this is awesome

Anonymous said...

Steve, this has an art-deco kind of feel to it. Could see it sitting in some exhibition introducing patrons to HDR. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You do so well explaining how you get your results. You've taken a lot of time, obviously with your own annotations. This is brilliant.

web counter account login
free hit counter account login